Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Job Market

Thread: The Job Market

Default The Job Market

I've been happy at my current job for a good long while now . . . but it's time to move on!

I had no idea it would be this hard to get the resume and portfolio back into presentation order.

And the waiting, and the suspense?!?

But every morning i have to drag myself out of bed and go back to the borg cube i'm currently employed at makes it all worth the effort to get the hell out of there. At least that's what I keep reminding myself

Default Re: The Job Market

Its a good time, this is the best the job market has been in at least 6 years. Interviewing sucks though.

I made a move last spring, left the finance/algo-trading industry to work at a silicon valley firm, and now I work from home. Best decision ever!

absolutely, it's a great time.

i used to see 1 or 2 job postings that i'd be qualified for in a month if i were lucky.

But now there are at least 10 or more that really get me excited

Quote Originally Posted by Chronik Pest View Post
    absolutely, it's a great time.

i used to see 1 or 2 job postings that i'd be qualified for in a month if i were lucky.

But now there are at least 10 or more that really get me excited
    I wouldn't worry too much about being qualified, Pest. I never would have ended up doing what I'm doing otherwise. You probably know how to read through the bullshit at this point, though.

What I mean by that is: My job is pretty specific (Python developer). However, I'm willing to bet that if I were to do a job search right now, every job posting would be like:

"Looking for Python developer with minimum 5 years experience."

Okay, so far so good.

"Should also be expert in Linux, Ruby, PHP, C, C#, C++, and System Administration, with strong design fundamentals."

WTF

"Experience in professional dance, opera, AutoCAD and the NBA also a plus."

90% of any given job posting is bullshit. I'm not sure who writes these things. You have to read between the lines and just go for it.

Dammit, ain't that the truth, MC

And the flipside is, if you ever ARE absolutely qualified in all of the long list of qualities they're looking for you're suddenly "overqualified"

I just had a second round interview at a place that I would consider my "dream job" at this point. And their only worry is they think they might not be able to offer enough compensation to make it worth my while.

I told them I'm confident we could find a salary that works for both of us and that I'm still very interested in keeping the process moving forward, and they promised to get a $$$ figure in front of me sooner rather than later . . .

we'll see!

And i have a first phone interview today at my second-choice employer, and another that's promised to be scheduled soon at my 3rd

So far, so good!

Amazon's gone in a bad direction as an organization recently, but it seems that their name on your resume is still something that opens doors.

stay tuned folks!
    Last edited by Chronik Pest; 10-25-2014 at 12:44 PM.

I may be broadcasting into the night here . . . but it feels good to share

I've since received 2 rejection letters, both which seemed pretty automated and arbitrary.

My dream job got re-defined as entry level and it would've been a huge pay cut . . . i passed

I'll hear back from an amazing company tomorrow, they have media production contracts with NASA and the Air force . . . there's a very high possibility that i'd be shooting fighter jets while riding in an airplane myself!!! how fucking cool would that be?

And out of nowhere i get a message through linkedIn from what appears to be a headhunter! A new studio is opening and they found me, not the other way around. First phonecall on that front is tomorrow as well.

Thrills and spills for 2 months now . . . here's hoping it all leads to something incredible ( i don't doubt that, it's just frustrating trying to get there)