Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
IMPORTANT - Your Thoughts on our History

View Poll Results: I've been advised to cull our (over) 10,000 threads down a bit, your thoughts?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do whatever you have to, D. Throw out at will.

4 36.36%
  • Aw, snap, man! This is like my virtual scrapbook.

3 27.27%
  • Maybe you could keep SOME of the current threads and throw out others?

6 54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: IMPORTANT - Your Thoughts on our History

Default IMPORTANT - Your Thoughts on our History

How do you guys feel about the 10,000-some post-history on the site?

EDIT - maybe it isn't all that important... I'm hearing now that the issue is not our number of posts, but our number of TABLES. And that our tables are being created by what sounds like an issue with one table. Anyway, I'm still interested in hearing any opinions about the above, because it might affect how I organize the forum going forward.
    Last edited by D-Railer; 05-08-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Default Re: IMPORTANT - Your Thoughts on our History

I don't look at the history, for the most part. Sometimes when sequels come out. Some of the long-standing threads (D-Junior, What are you up to, Homebrewing) seem to be at least worth keeping.

However, 10,000 posts shouldn't be giving you any performance issues. We were just shy of 500k on dnb before it died (or our admin got picked up by the law, perhaps). Lemme know if you need help in the world of MySQL.

edit: as a side note though, if you're going to convert this to a gaming company, you might want to consider a vB upgrade or a swap to a different forum software. 3.8.* has security holes you can drive a truck through, AFAIK.
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie C View Post
    I don't look at the history, for the most part. Sometimes when sequels come out. Some of the long-standing threads (D-Junior, What are you up to, Homebrewing) seem to be at least worth keeping.

However, 10,000 posts shouldn't be giving you any performance issues. We were just shy of 500k on dnb before it died (or our admin got picked up by the law, perhaps). Lemme know if you need help in the world of MySQL.

edit: as a side note though, if you're going to convert this to a gaming company, you might want to consider a vB upgrade or a swap to a different forum software. 3.8.* has security holes you can drive a truck through, AFAIK.
    Cool. I'm sorry but I did just delete the fuck out of a lot of the D-Junior thread. I felt like I had violated the trust of my family a bit when I read back some of the shit I said. Unfortunately, a lot of my shit was then quoted, so I went to town and deleted a lot of stuff. I apologize greatly, as you guys can't actually know how much it meant to me that I got support from you all.

Yeah I've got vB 4 purchased, just haven't put it here yet. Will soon. Need to straighten out tables first.

Voted checkbox. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I'm fine with you clearing out older stuff or even removing whatever sections of the forum you'd like. As long as there's a general discussion forum and a gaming forum, we're probably good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    Voted checkbox. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I'm fine with you clearing out older stuff or even removing whatever sections of the forum you'd like. As long as there's a general discussion forum and a gaming forum, we're probably good to go.
    I'm with him.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

I say keep it all. I have on a few occasions went all the way back to the beginning and read through the old threads, it was a nice trip. If you need to put it in some form of archive forum or something, thats fine.