Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cosmos

Thread: Cosmos

Default Cosmos

Fuck. Yes. I love science. I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. I loved Carl Sagan. Here's a show based on Carl Sagan's work; and the first episode was great. I let my kids watch the replay and they were enraptured. Honestly, I'm not a huge Family Guy fan - the fact that Seth MacFarlane is involved (as Executive Producer) in this has changed my opinion of him greatly. I never thought he was a bad guy... just kind of a... shill.

Anyway... I know it is sort of elementary if you're heavily into science, but anything that packages science up into an easily digestible format for my kids and our country in general that has let our space program all but die... is completely awesome in my book. I can't recommend this enough.

Skellington is offline I'm a freaking word machine.

Default Re: Cosmos

Yeah the CGI for the show is pretty well done.

2nd ep, still a great show. I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. Such a great speaker and mind.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie C View Post
    You're smokin' star stuff

LOL!! Speaking of stoned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSHNyppwS5w

You know I was all excited for this then I just kind of lost interest a few episodes in. I think Neil Tyson is a great guy but maybe the show is just geared towards a younger audience or something. I also have a science degree so a lot of the content isn't really new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    2nd ep, still a great show. I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. Such a great speaker and mind.
    I think I'm one of the few people, outside of probably right wing christians, who really doesn't like NDT. He just always comes across like he's talking to 5 years olds and no matter how educated you are on the subject, to him you are a 5 year old.

I'm not questioning his brilliance or anything of that nature, just as a presenter, he doesn't appeal to me. Watching what I did of the new cosmos, only reinforced that.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I think I'm one of the few people, outside of probably right wing christians, who really doesn't like NDT. He just always comes across like he's talking to 5 years olds and no matter how educated you are on the subject, to him you are a 5 year old.

I'm not questioning his brilliance or anything of that nature, just as a presenter, he doesn't appeal to me. Watching what I did of the new cosmos, only reinforced that.
    I understand what you mean, but I also sometimes think that if I already believe everything he's proposing maybe I'm not his target audience. Maybe to reach the fundies you have to take your teaching level back to around age 5 when they first started getting indoctrinated.

Whenever this comes up in a forum I like to link to this clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Aw9UGYNsA

I'm a big Dawkins fan as well BTW.

As I mentioned, I think NDT is awesome. If he's talking down to people it is because nobody seems to give a rat's ass about science anymore, and they should. He's probably talking like we're five year olds because he's trying to reach the five year olds that are going to be science teachers and scientists, God willing.

It's directed at a family audience.

Y'all are a bunch of smarties.

I'm not surprised that you find it a little dull. I don't ever feel like I'm being talked down to though -- I think NDT is attempting (and achieving, imo) to capture the same sense of childlike wonder that Sagan had. Yeah, everything else is made of everything else, but that means we're made out of fucking stardust type moments.

But I also watch this high as shit, so YMMV.

I think this series has fewer stardust moments than I would like, but I'm still enjoying it. I also wish they'd do less biographical narrative and spend some more time in nature-documentary-mode.
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm not surprised that you find it a little dull. I don't ever feel like I'm being talked down to though -- I think NDT is attempting (and achieving, imo) to capture the same sense of childlike wonder that Sagan had. Yeah, everything else is made of everything else, but that means we're made out of fucking stardust type moments.

I think this series has fewer stardust moments than I would like, but I'm still enjoying it. I also wish they'd do less biographical narrative and spend some more time in nature-documentary-mode.
    I just wish they wouldn't get so tangental. It feels like we've covered the same ground a couple times, when there were other bits we could have explored about the topic we left.

This is probably a lot of my issue. I'm not a real brain guy. My math skills absolutely suck. But, my favorite channels were always PBS, Discover, Learning Channel (when it actually taught you something). So it's probably that I've heard it all before. I have probably seen every episode of every show ever made about the universe and it's contents. I always tend to forget that I am an old fuck now and I'm probably not the target audience.

Part of it though is probably NDT's fight against Pluto being a planet and getting it re-designated. It's not that I didn't give a shit if Pluto lost it's status as a planet, it's literally that I didn't give a shit. I just remember when all that went down there was all this hubub about it and I saw a few heated arguments about it. My thing was, "Who gives a shit?" It's not like Pluto now gets less of a tax break or has more sanctions put on it because it's no longer a planet. I understand for future exploration we needed to set a "Planet" minimum, but it just seemed a lot of time and energy was being wasted on something that in the end, mainly mean reprinting some science books.

I mean hell, in the end, NDT loves to talk about spaghettification, he gets joy out of explaining the process. Personally, I think that should be changed to silllyputtification. Anyone ever try to stretch spaghetti? Doesn't really work, Silly Putty will stretch forever.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.