Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Anybody into NFL? How do you feel about head injuries?

Thread: Anybody into NFL? How do you feel about head injuries?

Default Anybody into NFL? How do you feel about head injuries?

Just wondering if anybody that still comes here had any thoughts on the topic. NFL football is the one sport I watch... all the talk about concussions scares the crap out of me -- and I'm also a bit worried about the sport in general. I do wonder if they could ever turn it into something like flag or touch and keep the same feel.

Anyway, I don't know a whole lot about the statistics or whatever.

Default Re: Anybody into NFL? How do you feel about head injuries?

WOOOOOOO SEAHAWKS BABY.

for content:

Watch this if you're interested in NFL head injuries:

FRONTLINE: League of Denial

Anything you ever wanted to know about the NFL's stance on head injuries and the science behind them is in this piece. It's excellent.

I am a bit mixed on it. I am hoping they can address the problem with better equipment, aka helmet design. I mean it seems the NFL did some sweeping of the problem under the rug, but on the other hand, I feel like you when you take a job throwing your 250+ pound body at full speed into other 250+ pound men running at full speed, there are going to be health problems from that.

I do feel that the demand for lifetime healthcare for players in the league for 2 years is quite reasonable though.

Skellington is offline I'm a freaking word machine.

Fuck the Packers

The Frontline piece to which MC linked has really made me think twice about the entire sport (but I didn't have much invested in it anyhow -- San Diego is not the cradle of winning teams).

I'd like to see some mitigation steps rather than complete avoidance.
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm going to watch that piece sometime soon. I just haven't had 2 hours yet.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    I'm going to watch that piece sometime soon. I just haven't had 2 hours yet.
    It's like a good movie, in my opinion... very interesting.

I'm in the same boat as kevstev. I'm hoping that new helmets and materials may address the issue. However, helmets kind of created the problem in the first place.

Maybe they need to take a page out of the Book of Rugby or Australian Rules Football and get rid of helmets altogether.

Shit, I dunno. All I do know is that there's a shit-ton of money involved, and when that's the case, people aren't going to do the right thing without being dragged to it kicking and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    people aren't going to do the right thing without being dragged to it kicking and screaming.
    This is so totally true of almost every aspect of life on Earth.