Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Disc Golf

Thread: Disc Golf

Default Disc Golf

Any disc golfers out there amongst the 10tu faithful? Where do you play? What do you throw? Do you play 100% recreationally or are you in a league or play tournaments?

I started slowly getting into it about 5 years ago, about a year after I moved to Austin. Recently, I can't seem to get out enough. It's a great way to spend some time outdoors.

I'm a decent player, but I don't take it super seriously. I don't even count strokes half the time, and I definitely like to take a few beers out on the course from time to time. I just love making nice throws and seeing the disc fly perfectly on line with what you intended. It's a ton of fun.

I live really close to Zilker Park (where Austin City Limits takes place), which has a 18-hole par three course. I'm also five minutes away from Roy G. Guerrero, which is an incredibly nice and very long professional-level course. So, I've played those two the most. There's a ton of great courses around Austin, though.

Anyone else play? If not, you can get started for about $10. Discs are cheap, and most courses are free!

Default Re: Disc Golf

I'm horrible at it.

However, I smoke green, so of course I play. Used to have a full set before I lost most of them in the Redwood Forest. If you ever have a chance to play up in Humboldt, take discs you don't like.
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie C View Post
    I'm horrible at it.

However, I smoke green, so of course I play. Used to have a full set before I lost most of them in the Redwood Forest. If you ever have a chance to play up in Humboldt, take discs you don't like.
    I'd probably say the same thing to people playing around here, Ollie. A lot of the courses here are not friendly to beginners and discs in general. You don't want to try push your way through TX scrubland, believe me. It's all super dense trees, thorn bushes and cacti. Also, I'm still waiting to run into a rattlesnake at some point. I figure it's a matter of "when", not "if".

I had the day off yesterday. So, a friend and I played at a really nice course here in Austin: Circle C. The front nine is brutal... crazy elevation changes, big doglegs, and the ground is all jagged rocks. So, even when you're hitting the "fairway" your disc is flying into a rock and ricocheting god knows where. The front nine fairways are also very narrow, dotted with trees, and you're completely surrounded by trees and thorn bushes the entire time. I hit *a lot* of trees and was getting pretty pissed. Having said that, the terrain is pretty amazing and fun to hike.

Suddenly, the course opens up to a relatively open back nine, though, and you're just like, "aaaaaaaah, THANK YOU!" Being able to grip it and rip it on a few holes after tons of super technical shots is a great feeling.

I have about a dozen discs now, of which I probably throw a half dozen with much regularity.

I need to work on my technique big time. I'm fairly strong, and I probably top out at 325' with my fairway drivers (I'm not good enough to throw any proper distance drivers). I see these skinny dudes throwing 450'+ and I know I'm just strong-arming the hell out of my throws and my technique is terrible.

I haven't played for quite a few years. Simply put I had a dislocated knee cap. It wasn't enough to keep me from walking and getting around just fine, but it was on my right leg and really put the stop to any kind of driving the disc, since that was my plant leg. I was actually thinking of picking it back up this year since the knee and the back are both feeling pretty good.

I just played mostly recreational. I did enter a few tournaments, just to see how I stacked up to other players, but it just kind of took the fun out of the game. I even joined a club for 2 years, but like most clubs I've joined. I've found that I'm just not into it enough to make it my life, but most of the guys in the club, that's all they thought about and talked about. So, I let my membership lapse.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

Seems to be a popular thing out here on the west coast. Many of the parks are set up with "courses"; I have yet to give it a shot, looks fun though!

I live really close to Zilker Park (where Austin City Limits takes place), which has a 18-hole par three course. I'm also five minutes away from Roy G. Guerrero, which is an incredibly nice and very long professional-level course. So, I've played those two the most. There's a ton of great courses around Austin, though.
    Are you interested in Jacksonville University? Get our self paced db2 training - braindumps.com and Isilon study packages to pass yourUniversity of Colorado at Boulder without any difficulty in Augusta Technical College.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonky View Post
    Those are the two courses I play with the most frequency as well. I live between Zilker and RGG.