Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Anyone building a Haswell-based rig?

Thread: Anyone building a Haswell-based rig?

Skellington is offline I'm a freaking word machine.

Default Anyone building a Haswell-based rig?

Looking at my Core 2 Duo ('06) it's about that time.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an i5-4670K. I hate shopping for MOBOs though and it's ten times worse since all the Haswell socketed ones are brand new and unvetted.

For the video card I'm thinking about a GTX 660 (Or maybe four GTX Titans SLIed, I still haven't decided)

Default Re: Anyone building a Haswell-based rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Skellington View Post
    Looking at my Core 2 Duo ('06) it's about that time.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an i5-4670K. I hate shopping for MOBOs though and it's ten times worse since all the Haswell socketed ones are brand new and unvetted.

For the video card I'm thinking about a GTX 660 (Or maybe four GTX Titans SLIed, I still haven't decided)
    Here's the recommended Mobo's I grabbed from another site (for the i5-4670K):

Overclocking Boards
    • ASUS Z87-C (Z87 ATX)
    • Asus Z87M Plus (Z87 mATX)
    • MSI Z87M-G43 (Z87 mATX)
    • AsRock Z87M Extreme 4 (Z87 mATX)

Non Overclocking Boards
    • AsRock B85M (B85 mATX)
    • MSI B85M-P33 (B85 mATX)

And video cards...

1920x1200:
    • AMD Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition - equal to 660
    • Geforce GTX 660 - equal to 7870
    • Geforce GTX 660ti - 20% faster than 660/7850
    • Radeon 7950 - 10% faster than 660ti

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    Here's the recommended Mobo's I grabbed from another site (for the i5-4670K) ...
    I like that SA thread and I have been keeping an eye on it for a little while, as it updates regularly with newer parts. I am a bit skeptical though about this most recent update. For the non-overclocking people he recommends B85 boards, but I was under the impression that B85 was for businesses and has a reduced feature set whereas for gamers the less-expensive, non-overclocking boards you would want are H87.

Is it just because B85 boards are very inexpensive and still good enough for gaming?

I like that SA thread and I have been keeping an eye on it for a little while, as it updates regularly with newer parts. I am a bit skeptical though about this most recent update. For the non-overclocking people he recommends B85 boards, but I was under the impression that B85 was for businesses and has a reduced feature set whereas for gamers the less-expensive, non-overclocking boards you would want are H87.

Is it just because B85 boards are very inexpensive and still good enough for gaming?
    The idea for the "quick pick parts list" is really just value. They're not going to recommend the latest and greatest of everything because the general consensus is that "future proofing" is futile and stupid, as I'm sure you know.

I'd read through the last couple of pages to see why they chose those particular mobo's. I'm not particularly knowledgeable, to be honest. That's why I always just regurgitate the SA recommendations whenever someone asks for advice. They haven't steered me wrong yet.

I updated the guts of my desktop over a year ago now based on that thread, and it still almost entirely up to date.

Bought all the parts except the video card, I ended up going with Ivy Bridge after I found out the Haswell sockets won't carry over into the next generation.

CPU: i5-3570K
    MOBO: ASrock Z77 Extreme4
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600
    PSU: 450W
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
    Case: Corsair 200R

I'm on a tight budget so I couldn't really spring for a SSD. I got a good deal on the case, mobo, and CPU, but I really got bent over for the RAM. For the video card right now my sights are set on a GTX 660. I'll probably go for the EVGA FTW Sig2 card.

Bought all the parts except the video card, I ended up going with Ivy Bridge after I found out the Haswell sockets won't carry over into the next generation.

CPU: i5-3570K
    MOBO: ASrock Z77 Extreme4
    RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600
    PSU: 450W
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
    Case: Corsair 200R

I'm on a tight budget so I couldn't really spring for a SSD. I got a good deal on the case, mobo, and CPU, but I really got bent over for the RAM. For the video card right now my sights are set on a GTX 660. I'll probably go for the EVGA FTW Sig2 card.
    When you say you really got bent over for the RAM, how bent over are we talking about? About 2 years ago, I bought a laptop and upgrading from 4 to 8 GB was like $20 or something so trivial it was a no-brainer.

As for the SSD, prices are under $1/GB now. You should REALLY consider at least getting a boot/app drive that is SSD. It is by far the biggest upgrade you can do. I

Quote Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
    When you say you really got bent over for the RAM, how bent over are we talking about? About 2 years ago, I bought a laptop and upgrading from 4 to 8 GB was like $20 or something so trivial it was a no-brainer.
    I spent $60ish for 8GB DDR3-1600. I shopped around but prices seemed high everywhere.