Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

So how is everyone doing? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: So how is everyone doing?

Default Re: So how is everyone doing?

I'm recently engaged too! We'll be getting married in August.

I feel ya, all the talk about the nuclear option. The job's still good, but it's gotten routine and paths forward aren't materializing. Amazon's brutal that way. 90% of the time they'll hire from outside rather than promote from within, all in the name of "raising the bar"

The fond memories of my freelance days are coming back into focus. Also, we're exploring small-scale food manufacturing, which is actually a lot simpler than it sounds, and rather straightforward in our city/state.

Either way, the future's still full of exciting options. Glad to hear most everyone's doing well these days. A big step forward from the darker times of 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie C View Post
    Kev: Always wondered if you were doing HFT. You have any opinions on Flash Boys? I know it was a fairly divisive move.
    I was for a period of time. In the beginning of my career, about ten years ago, I worked for Knight and did Option Market Making, which later turned into more of an HFT type business. I then later moved onto the agency side in what is more typically called algorithmic trading- essentially I was on the "other side," aka the Katsyuma side, for the last five years or so, but I still had a hand in some HFT stuff, and the last three years, I was essentially building out an HFT infrastructure at Morgan Stanley to level the playing field against HFT players. We had the same connectivity, market data, latency (about 50 microseconds), etc, that those guys did, and more or less nullified their advantage.

Flash Boys is by far the best look at my side of the industry I have ever read. However, the importance of IEX, Thor, etc, were WAY overstated. Even the strategy that is talked about in the book that Thor made ineffective, is old news, and all the major players had something similar by 2010. It really seemed to me that ML only spoke to those guys at IEX when writing the thing, because there are just tons of interesting stories that didn't get told. I also think a bigger story, that was briefly touched on one with one quote: "Why is Citadel paying hundreds of millions of dollars for retail flow?" went completely unaddressed. Every bank I have worked at had a mysterious group that got a look at the retail flow before it went out the door and could trade against it if it wanted to, and I never got clear answers on how exactly they were making money off of it. The clients were getting filled at the National Best Bid or Offer or better, so it can't be *that* shady, but still- why are firms paying for the opportunity to get a look at this stuff?

I had to put my cat to sleep this morning. You probably remember him from a bunch of photos early on in 10TU history. All I can say is, he will be greatly missed, and this house has never been so lonely.

I also had some amazing news that I cover in the D-Junior thread.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    I had to put my cat to sleep this morning. You probably remember him from a bunch of photos early on in 10TU history. All I can say is, he will be greatly missed, and this house has never been so lonely.

I also had some amazing news that I cover in the D-Junior thread.
    Bumme about the cat D. We went through that about 4 years ago with the cat my wife had when we got married. I also decided to put a salamander down that same day, because he was riddled with tumors and I figured 17 years was long enough for him to have lived. He couldn't walk anymore either because of the tumors and probably couldn't see. Anyways. It was a double whammy. I was at first thinking, "Holy shit, am I actually crying over this cat, then they brought me the salamander and I didn't think his 17 years with me had impacted me like it did. I was a freakin' mess.

It's kind of amazing how often they still come up in conversations. I'm feeling for you and remember the good times.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

Today's the day!

Health department inspection is all that stands between us and being a legal food manufacturer!

Quote Originally Posted by Chronik Pest View Post
    Today's the day!

Health department inspection is all that stands between us and being a legal food manufacturer!
    Dude, great!

@Clonefan... the cat is a huge loss. We walked into our house after the weekend and missed him bitching at us about leaving him alone. House never felt so empty. Please, if you get a chance, READ THE D-JUNIOR THREAD. We have some miraculous news.

Last self grandizing spam post, promise

we are officially Strecker's Vegan Goods: http://streckersvegangoods.com/

best damn philly wrap you ever put in your mouth, vegan or otherwise. We've already got orders for the local coffee shop chain (9 stores) and a local natural grocery chain (3 stores)!

I'm still rocking the amazon thing, and we're cooking in a commercial kitchen a couple nights per week after work.

Good times! If you swing through Louisville, let me know! Free samples for everyone.

best damn philly wrap you ever put in your mouth, vegan or otherwise. We've already got orders for the local coffee shop chain (9 stores) and a local natural grocery chain (3 stores)!

I'm still rocking the amazon thing, and we're cooking in a commercial kitchen a couple nights per week after work.

Good times! If you swing through Louisville, let me know! Free samples for everyone.
    NICE! Dude that's awesome! Congrats all over! We actually do swing through Louisville on the way down to FL sometimes... who knows?

Oh hey, I forgot you were also in Kentucky. I'm in the first best city of the state,

Way to go pest.... and D great job on the game.

Damn its been awhile since I have been here I really missed you guys. I been super busy with the kid and mainly game on the PS3 or PS4 now. The wife and I hit a hard patch she went to school for a year for cosmetology and graduated and so we only had my income to use and its been hard living paycheck to paycheck.

I just got promoted to Parts manager at a Toyota Dealership so a lot more money and my wife is working at a salon in Indiana and A dental office in downtown Chicago. So things are slowly working back up for us. I start officially in September.

So it's 3:45 AM right now. A bit earlier I had a dream that I was playing Tribes again and woke up wanting to check in with you guys. It's remarkable to be able to read up on everyone's situation.

Last year I was married on Halloween, we got pregnant immediately, and I finally got a job as a teacher yesterday.

With all these changes coming down the line, I look back and think about how long its been, and how much I have really changed. I like to think I've changed in a good way, I'm hoping I have.

Truth is I just miss my friends, I hope you're all doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan View Post
    So it's 3:45 AM right now. A bit earlier I had a dream that I was playing Tribes again and woke up wanting to check in with you guys. It's remarkable to be able to read up on everyone's situation.

Last year I was married on Halloween, we got pregnant immediately, and I finally got a job as a teacher yesterday.

With all these changes coming down the line, I look back and think about how long its been, and how much I have really changed. I like to think I've changed in a good way, I'm hoping I have.

Truth is I just miss my friends, I hope you're all doing well.
    Congrats Harri, not just on getting married but also for getting busy. Kids are awesome, IMO.

Gentle was just saying we should get together and play Tribes again. I'm not even sure I have a playstation that would play that disc, lol. Will have to take a look. Does it work in a PS3?

Everything here is fine. Money is super tight at the moment as actual paying clients have been hard to come by in this area, for some reason.

The kids are crazy but healthy. I've never been more in love with my wife and kids. I surprise myself with what I'm capable of... I think my heart is full, and it is; but there always turns out to be a little more room.

I have a number of side projects that I'm working on simultaneously, but moving nowhere fast. I'm hoping I'll suddenly find time to do it all.

I miss you guys a bunch, all of you. Wish there were some easy way to get us together.

What a crazy-ass time machine this site is!

Long story short, gonna be a dad next month. Have a son due Dec 26th!!