Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New TV time- recommendations?

Thread: New TV time- recommendations?

Default New TV time- recommendations?

Hey all,
    So I have a new condo, and somehow the wife is convinced that we need a new slimmer tv to replace my old 16" wide DLP model, and I am not complaining. However, I was a little shocked when I went to best buy, and tried narrowing down my options to "smart" LED tvs, and there were still 97 models to choose from. I guess the good news is that most tv's out there today have the features I want.

My question to 10tu, is are there any quality review sites out there? The ones I found all seemed to have questionable editorial policies (I don't trust cnet or pc world, and the others I found seemed to just be looking to generate ad traffic). If there are any sites out there that will help me accurately prune the list down, that would be helpful too- Best Buy is pretty good, but I can't for example specify wireless only, or 47-55" tvs, I have to look through all the 40-49" tvs, and then all the 50-59" tvs. I know... #whitepeopleproblems.

I guess if you have any specific recommendations, that works too. I am looking for a 47-55" LED tv. Must have an internet connection (wireless preferred), and able to consume dlna content. Picture quality is big on the list, but I could care less about 3D, and thinness isn't that big of a deal either.

Default Re: New TV time- recommendations?

While shopping know that amazon has what looks like some sweet black Friday deals onTVs

http://www.amazon.com/Deals-Electron...=7&node=540734

Quote Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
    My question to 10tu, is are there any quality review sites out there? The ones I found all seemed to have questionable editorial policies (I don't trust cnet or pc world, and the others I found seemed to just be looking to generate ad traffic). If there are any sites out there that will help me accurately prune the list down, that would be helpful too- Best Buy is pretty good, but I can't for example specify wireless only, or 47-55" tvs, I have to look through all the 40-49" tvs, and then all the 50-59" tvs. I know... #whitepeopleproblems.
    Best Buy is good. Wal-Mart is good. Costco is good.

I know this because I work for the SaaS company that provides their ratings and reviews.

They not only collect their own ratings and reviews, which are moderated for both content and authenticity (i.e. they filter potty mouths, but they're not allowed to filter negative reviews or anything deemed to be authentic), they also get syndicated reviews from many of the top manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Philips (also via our company)).

Anyway, sorry for the somewhat lame plug. I just got hired on there a month and a half ago, and when I saw all the places we supported reviews, I was like, "no shit? That's cool. I've definitely been there and used that."

I got a 55" Vizio back-lit LED TV earlier this year. I like it a lot. No complaints so far.

edit: Amazon is also good for reviews, obviously.

I'm not sure about *dedicated* review sites, though, outside of consumer reports.
    Last edited by M.C. McMic; 11-25-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post

I'm not sure about *dedicated* review sites, though, outside of consumer reports.
    Yeah I was looking more for like an anandtech for tv's. In general, I find the typical user reviews to be pretty awful. Most of them are of the theme: "My 55" LED HDTV is soooo much more awesome than my old 30" CRT! 5 stars!" They are generally only good when there is a design flaw of some sort. I am just going to keep an eye out for deals. I am going to go to the samsung store in Columbus circle and check out their stuff- they have every single TV currently in production there, and a few that are upcoming and haven't been released yet. I can get an idea as to how different the different lines are and what my sweet spot will be price wise.

Buying a tv is hard work!

Probably too late, but I think www.avsforum.com is the equivalent for the Home Theatre group.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladewing View Post
    Probably too late, but I think www.avsforum.com is the equivalent for the Home Theatre group.
    Not too late at all, I have been busy at work and with holiday stuff, so my planned purchase date is going to be sometime around the superbowl.