Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
IPhone 4S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: IPhone 4S

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,340

    Default IPhone 4S

    So, what do you think?

    I was a bit underwhelmed. The A5 processor will be nice. I have used the Ipad2, and it really is fast. Fast to the point that I think its "fast enough" for all typical uses and you never feel like you are waiting for the device.

    New camera? Nice, but seems to just be keeping up with other phones, and my camera on my 3GS does a good enough job.

    The voice assistant? I am a little skeptical. Apple tends to only roll features out when they are done and work well, but voice recognition is a problem that hasn't been solved well despite 30+ years of people trying. At the same time, telling my phone to wake me up at 6:30 tomorrow morning, or being reminded to get some milk on my way home... could really be a game changer. I just can't see myself or others just talking to their phone all the time though, especially if you still have to use some form of robot voice.

    If this technology really works, it could be one of those "the future is here" moments. I can already record programs on my dvr from my phone, imagine running late and just telling my phone to dvr the giant's game? or being halfway home and telling the phone to turn the heat up? This isn't some jetsons dream either- one of the condos I looked at had an Ipad in the wall that controlled everything in the house- this would require almost no effort to bring to fruition.

  2. #2

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    I was about to make this topic, thanks Kev.

    I think the underwhelmed feeling is part of why they went with 4S instead of "5."

    I think I'm going to go ahead and get one of these, but only because I realize that if I'm going to have to pay for a cellular internet package, I might as well get something more awesome out of it. To go from a 3GS to a 4S seems like a good jump, and I'm realizing that I can probably get away with the 16GB version of the phone... so $199.

    Let me put it this way... I'm going to do one of three things. 1.) NOTHING. My wife has a broken phone, so she can get the 3GS upgrade for FREE. 2.) Get a dumb phone, and give my wife my 3GS... I'm paying 150 bucks a month for a pair of cell phones. That seems excessive, but whatever. 3.) Pony up the cash and get a 4s and give my wife the 3GS. (If somebody has any suggestions on which of these paths to take, I'm all ears.)
    .


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    Let me put it this way... I'm going to do one of three things. 1.) NOTHING. My wife has a broken phone, so she can get the 3GS upgrade for FREE. 2.) Get a dumb phone, and give my wife my 3GS... I'm paying 150 bucks a month for a pair of cell phones. That seems excessive, but whatever. 3.) Pony up the cash and get a 4s and give my wife the 3GS. (If somebody has any suggestions on which of these paths to take, I'm all ears.)
    If you are paying for data plans for both, I would get a 4S and give your wife the 3GS. The 3GS is still useful, and its usefulness shouldn't diminish too much in the next year or two, assuming she isn't interested in playing infinity blade and the like. The 3GS->4S jump is going to feel like a giant leap. Its 4x faster, has 4x the RAM, much better camera, screen, flash, better battery life, better designed case... the list is long. To me the $200 cost is largely irrelevant, its the data plan that's costly. I also tend to use my phone way more than most, as its my only lifeline to the outside world inside my heavily firewalled office network.

    Personally I am going to make the jump to Android. I am going to get either the Samsung Galaxy S II or the new prime phone that is going to be announced on the 10th.

  4. #4

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
    If you are paying for data plans for both, I would get a 4S and give your wife the 3GS. The 3GS is still useful, and its usefulness shouldn't diminish too much in the next year or two, assuming she isn't interested in playing infinity blade and the like. The 3GS->4S jump is going to feel like a giant leap. Its 4x faster, has 4x the RAM, much better camera, screen, flash, better battery life, better designed case... the list is long. To me the $200 cost is largely irrelevant, its the data plan that's costly. I also tend to use my phone way more than most, as its my only lifeline to the outside world inside my heavily firewalled office network.

    Personally I am going to make the jump to Android. I am going to get either the Samsung Galaxy S II or the new prime phone that is going to be announced on the 10th.
    Yeah I wouldn't be on an iPhone if I weren't so damned mac based already. Shrug. thanks for your 2 cents, that's some good advice
    .


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,340

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't be on an iPhone if I weren't so damned mac based already. Shrug. thanks for your 2 cents, that's some good advice
    You can't go wrong really. The 4S looks like a damn nice phone, and the cloud is going to be really sweet.

    It just seems that android just has a lot more momentum right now. My main desire is a larger screen, and that's where the 4S really falls short. NFC, removable and upgradable memory, are just sweeteners on top.

  6. #6
    RoBBo is offline El Rob, a 10TU Forum Founding Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    No-Ill
    Posts
    691

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Apparently its going to be on Sprint.
    I'm getting a little fed up with how touchy my Evo is, whenever I use any of my friends iPhones the experience is just smoother, tempts me to make the switch.

    Though, I might just drop the smart phone all together and go back to a flip phone.
    Trying to do delivery with sweat or rain on your fingers, and you have to call the bastard, and your damn phone thinks there a thousand fingers on the screen when you're not even touching it...very frustrating.
    Not to mention my Evo started turning off from very minor g forces lately, and takes about 7 minutes to start up, so when I get to a place and have to stand outside like a dweeb because they don't have anything nearly as modern as a doorbell...
    Stupid.

  7. #7

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    That Siri thing... it is ridiculously cool... did you see the list of the kind of things you can say to it?

    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/05/iphon...u-say-to-siri/
    .


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,059

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    The voice stuff is cool but everything else is pretty much trying to stay technologically relevant with the hardware Android manufactures are bringing out at such a ridiculously fast pace. At the very least they should have bumped up the screen size to 4 inches.

    @Kev - I just got my Galaxy S2(AT&T) ($150 on Amazon) the other day....this thing is a monster!!! I also just sold my year old Samsung Captivate on ebay for $185 so I got a brand new phone and 35 bucks in my pocket....I don't hate it
    Sometimes Goliath kicks the shit out of David. Nobody bothers telling that story.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,851

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by SKULLI View Post
    The voice stuff is cool but everything else is pretty much trying to stay technologically relevant with the hardware Android manufactures are bringing out at such a ridiculously fast pace. At the very least they should have bumped up the screen size to 4 inches.

    @Kev - I just got my Galaxy S2(AT&T) ($150 on Amazon) the other day....this thing is a monster!!! I also just sold my year old Samsung Captivate on ebay for $185 so I got a brand new phone and 35 bucks in my pocket....I don't hate it
    Skulli, how did you get it off Amazon with AT&T? I thought you could only get discounts buying them directly from the providers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,059

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    Skulli, how did you get it off Amazon with AT&T? I thought you could only get discounts buying them directly from the providers.

    http://wireless.amazon.com/

    It's just like buying from the carrier except they are usually $50 dollars cheaper. They check your number and see if you are upgrade eligible. If I would have bought the phone from AT&T it would have cost me $200.

    I got my phone shipped free in 2 days. I put the new sim card in and called AT&T customer service and had them switch it over.
    Sometimes Goliath kicks the shit out of David. Nobody bothers telling that story.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,851

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Hmm... I really want to switch back over to Verizon now that my AT&T contract is up. They don't seem to have the Galaxy S2. Guess I'll have to look into other phones.

    Kev, what do you mean by the "new prime phone" that's being announced on the 10th? You mean a new Samsung phone?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,059

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    Hmm... I really want to switch back over to Verizon now that my AT&T contract is up. They don't seem to have the Galaxy S2. Guess I'll have to look into other phones.

    Kev, what do you mean by the "new prime phone" that's being announced on the 10th? You mean a new Samsung phone?
    Next week Samsung is supposed to anounce the next pure google android phone which should have the latest and greatest tech and Android 4.0 Ice Cream.

    http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/06/s...as-an-exclusi/
    Sometimes Goliath kicks the shit out of David. Nobody bothers telling that story.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,851

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Woah, sweet. I want THAT! LOL

    (... until I want something else.)

  14. #14

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    4s pre-ordered
    .


  15. #15

    Default Re: IPhone 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by SKULLI View Post
    The voice stuff is cool but everything else is pretty much trying to stay technologically relevant with the hardware Android manufactures are bringing out at such a ridiculously fast pace. At the very least they should have bumped up the screen size to 4 inches.

    @Kev - I just got my Galaxy S2(AT&T) ($150 on Amazon) the other day....this thing is a monster!!! I also just sold my year old Samsung Captivate on ebay for $185 so I got a brand new phone and 35 bucks in my pocket....I don't hate it
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/10/size-...5-inch-screen/

    But hey you know what they say about guys with big thumbs.
    .


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •