Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Smart Phones

Thread: Smart Phones

Default Smart Phones

My last ties with civilization before I went to Tahiti was reading liveblogs of the keynote at WWDC, where I was disappointed and a little shocked that no new IPhone was announced. The cloud sounds interesting. Its pretty much what I have been trying to achieve with my pricey little NAS box setup, but I am sure since Apple is behind it, it will just work the way one would expect it to without any fiddling around required.

But anyway, today is actually the day that my cellphone contract expires, and while my 3GS has served me well and been quite the workhorse, seeing all the new phones out there makes me drool. My 3GS has also been getting a little flakey on me- many apps are having lots of problems with crashing lately.

Have any of you made the Iphone-> Android switch? Was it worth it? Part of me likes the fact that Android is more transparent than IOS and is more in tune with my Geeky nature. The other part of me says that Apple actually makes a really good appliance of a device, and generally everything just works out of the box without any hacks or twiddling needed. The only time I ever spend "managing" my phone is downloading app updates, and syncing with my computer (which IS annoying, but it seems the cloud is going to get rid of that annoyance). Meanwhile my Android friends are always talking about rooting and modding their phone, and new ROMs, etc, and I like that I don't have to deal with that on my phone.

Finally, what phones get you excited right now? They all well... look the same to me for the most part aside from things like screen size. Due to a pretty hefty corporate discount, I would like to stay on AT&T and the Samsung Infuse and the HTC Inspire look attractive. Any thoughts on those? Are any phones on the horizon I should wait for (I will probably at least wait to hear about the new Iphone before buying one).

Its kind of crazy, two short years ago, when I was making the phone decision, the G1 was the only real Android phone out there, and it was not clear that Android was going to catch on as a platform at all. The 3GS was clearly the right decision then, I am surprised I even had a hard time making it.

Default Re: Smart Phones

I have ATT as well and have had the Samsung Captivate running Android for the last year. Ancient by today's phone standards but it still works very well.(Except for the damn GPS) Having a 4 inch screen just makes things SO much easier with everything you do.

I prefer Android over IOS just because the open nature suits my techy geek side. I like to be able to customize things the way I like it and Android allows that even without rooting your phone and adding custom roms. (I did one-click root my phone to get rid of ATT bloatware though) Example - I didn't care for Samsung's Touchwiz launcher and dock so I was able to go on the Android market and test out different ones until I found one that I liked. ( LauncherPro FTW.)

My step daughter has a 4th generation Ipod touch and I absolutely hate dealing with all the restrictions that IOS brings me after using Android for the last year. IMO itunes is really a sucky/slow resource hog and I hate using it.

If you do decide to switch to Android on ATT you might be better off waiting A few months. The rumor is that the next PURE Android(Which means no mfg/carrier android UI customizations) phone will be made by Samsung and it's coming to ATT. I believe it is going to be called Nexus Prime. It's supposed to be a beast of a phone.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23123...oid_phone.html

Of course by the time this is released I'm sure the Iphone 5 will be announced by then.

Also the Galaxy S II from Samsung should be coming soon as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/s...y-s-ii-review/

This is the new version of my current phone and it sounds like a winner also.

Just my 2 cents
    Sometimes Goliath kicks the shit out of David. Nobody bothers telling that story.

Quote Originally Posted by SKULLI View Post
    I have ATT as well and have had the Samsung Captivate running Android for the last year. Ancient by today's phone standards but it still works very well.(Except for the damn GPS) Having a 4 inch screen just makes things SO much easier with everything you do.

I prefer Android over IOS just because the open nature suits my techy geek side. I like to be able to customize things the way I like it and Android allows that even without rooting your phone and adding custom roms. (I did one-click root my phone to get rid of ATT bloatware though) Example - I didn't care for Samsung's Touchwiz launcher and dock so I was able to go on the Android market and test out different ones until I found one that I liked. ( LauncherPro FTW.)

My step daughter has a 4th generation Ipod touch and I absolutely hate dealing with all the restrictions that IOS brings me after using Android for the last year. IMO itunes is really a sucky/slow resource hog and I hate using it.

If you do decide to switch to Android on ATT you might be better off waiting A few months. The rumor is that the next PURE Android(Which means no mfg/carrier android UI customizations) phone will be made by Samsung and it's coming to ATT. I believe it is going to be called Nexus Prime. It's supposed to be a beast of a phone.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23123...oid_phone.html

Of course by the time this is released I'm sure the Iphone 5 will be announced by then.

Also the Galaxy S II from Samsung should be coming soon as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/s...y-s-ii-review/

This is the new version of my current phone and it sounds like a winner also.

Just my 2 cents
    I appreciate the advice- I was probably going to wait until the new Iphone is at least announced so I know I am making an informed decision. I didn't know these two phones were slated to be out by then though- they look like they will be really nice. I went to an ATT store today and played with the Samsung Infuse- I love the big screen.

Aside from android, I might jump ship to Verizon. I have been spending a bunch of time in midtown manhattan, and ATT's network there feels like having dial up. Even at home it just feels slow lately.

I think the verdict will have to wait until September, which is unfortunate because I am dying to get a new phone. The internal battle in my mind of usability over flexibility will have to rage on until then.

As a side note, I don't really get the obsession with ultra thin phones. The most comfortable smartphone I have ever used was my palm Treo 650, the thing was kind of a brick, but I could type on that thing all day. I can't do more than 3 texts in a row on an iphone without my hands feeling like they are going to fall off.

I'm using an Android -- an Optimus V (same as Optimus S). Except I'm with Virgin Mobile, and I paid $200 for my phone.

But here's the kicker: my bill is $25/month. Unlimited data, text, and 300 voice minutes (can't get around that with Google Voice either). It's only a 3G network, and it's Sprint's network so coverage can be spotty in non-metro areas.

The phone itself? Not all that great. It's a mid-tier phone, and the bloatware they put on it is crap. But if you root and re-ROM? It is an absolutely beautiful deal. I've got mine overclocked, and the power is comparable to at least the iPhone 3G. It pays for itself in like two months.

But you're rich, so who cares? Rooting is fun though.
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

I, too, am very likely going to switch from ATT/iPhone 3GS to Verizon/Android come September when my contract is up.

I just want to give the other platform a shot (the phone that is. I've already had both AT&T and Verizon and will definitely be switching back to Verizon).

Also, I kinda want to tinker with mobile apps a bit and the open source nature of Android appeals to me in that regard.

I may even look into some Windows phones when Sept rolls around.

I am so addicted to my phone that price isn't much of an issue (considering all the high end phones are about $200). A low cost carrier is tempting, but as it is it kills me that AT&T is so shitty. I have heard that the lower cost guys are on par with ATT, and I have hope that ATT will get better. PCS Metro, T-Mobile... not so much.

MC- I would be really leery about going with a Windows phone. Things have been moving rapidly the last few years, but I had a windows briefly before I got the IPhone, and pretty much what they did was take windows XP and put it on a 320x200 screen. IE was unusable. I know they have been focusing on this area, but MS has been trying to do phones for 10 years, and doesn't seem to get it.