Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
It blows my mind how cheap Terabytes have become

Thread: It blows my mind how cheap Terabytes have become

Default It blows my mind how cheap Terabytes have become

That's all. Just went from 1, to 5, for less than 200 bucks . . . it's stupid.

Default Re: It blows my mind how cheap Terabytes have become

Quote Originally Posted by Chronik Pest View Post
    That's all. Just went from 1, to 5, for less than 200 bucks . . . it's stupid.
    Huh? I thought the biggest drives were 3TB?

they are, but I bought 2x2

Nice. Where did you get the drives- new egg?

I might be in the market for a massive increase of disk space soon. I finally mostly figured out how to get my NAS's DLNA server to reliably stream to my Blu ray player. This is huge as I can now have an entirely digital library, and this also means that every time I get something from netflix, it will be in my library. A nice real world benefit to this will be ripping my current dvd collection and being able to either put all those disks in boxes, or just throwing out the cases altogether and keeping them on spindles- a massive space saving, which in my area... is key. Also, I think DVD cases are ugly and am not too fond of the fact that they are in my living room.

Right now I only have 250 GBs of space, and that includes backups of every computer I have had since 2003.

I'm lucky enough to have a Microcenter outlet in-town. Sure, I pay a lil extra after tax but can pick up what I need at the drop of a hat.

I'm finally putting into place an organized library system for my photography. Adobe Lightroom was $100 off last week.

Been chugging along with 1 SSD for my OS and 1TB with all my crap on it. It filled up, so NOW is the time to get my house in order.

I don't need raw speed, so I didn't spend extra for it. I can always add another top-o-the-line speedy drive for specific needs If I want it.

EDIT: It cracks me up to read hard drive user reviews online . . . "OMG I had a seagate fail now I use WD4LIFE!"

no matter what you use, you're going to have a failure . . . so what exactly is the logic behind that crap (I know, there isn't any).

The newegg reviews can be pretty awful for the drives I bought, but they're far more positive on amazon . . it's all relative.

I knew what I was getting into with these and they're serving their purpose. A colleage of mine had a catostrophic failure of his entire backup system and it's literally going to take 9 months to recreate his library. He had top level drives all the way, all it takes is some bad luck to undo the best laid plans.
    Last edited by Chronik Pest; 04-20-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronik Pest View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have a Microcenter outlet in-town. Sure, I pay a lil extra after tax but can pick up what I need at the drop of a hat.

I'm finally putting into place an organized library system for my photography. Adobe Lightroom was $100 off last week.

Been chugging along with 1 SSD for my OS and 1TB with all my crap on it. It filled up, so NOW is the time to get my house in order.

I don't need raw speed, so I didn't spend extra for it. I can always add another top-o-the-line speedy drive for specific needs If I want it.

EDIT: It cracks me up to read hard drive user reviews online . . . "OMG I had a seagate fail now I use WD4LIFE!"

no matter what you use, you're going to have a failure . . . so what exactly is the logic behind that crap (I know, there isn't any).

The newegg reviews can be pretty awful for the drives I bought, but they're far more positive on amazon . . it's all relative.

I knew what I was getting into with these and they're serving their purpose. A colleage of mine had a catostrophic failure of his entire backup system and it's literally going to take 9 months to recreate his library. He had top level drives all the way, all it takes is some bad luck to undo the best laid plans.
    I have what I think is a pretty cool setup- I just got a new laptop, and I am waiting to see how the latest gen SSD's shake out, and I plan on putting ~120GB in as my boot drive. I have a NAS that then has 250GB and is my mass storage for things like pictures, videos, music etc. and I also back up our laptops on it. I have never really been into downloading videos/movies, so 250GB
    is plenty.

The NAS though is raid 1 and gets backed up to an external disk connected via USB on a weekly basis. So I am pretty well covered- my biggest risk is that a fire will break out or something, and I guess I could mitigate that by swapping out disks in the external drive every week or so, but I am a bit too lazy for that.