Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Apple holding iPad 2 event next week?

Thread: Apple holding iPad 2 event next week?

Lightbulb Apple holding iPad 2 event next week?

We're all hotly expecting new MacBook Pros on Thursday, but it sounds like Apple might have an even bigger announcement soon: Kara Swisher at All Things Digital says the iPad 2 will be revealed on March 2 in San Francisco. That lines up with some of the rumblings we've heard, but we haven't gotten an official invite yet, so things could change -- we'll let you know as soon as we hear anything definite.Apple holding iPad 2 event next week? originally appeared on Engadget on Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:16:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | All Things Digital | Email this | Comments

More...
    [img=http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/apple-holding-ipad-2-event-next-week/]Image...[/img]

Default Re: Apple holding iPad 2 event next week?

Will I be getting one of these? 90% sure, yes, unless they're just adding fluff. It'd be "nice" to have the 3G model, I've thought multiple times, so it looks like my wife is getting hand-me-down technology again while I jump to the upgrade, plus 3G.

I'd still love to see some kind of stylus support beyond holding something as big around as the kid sized fat-ass crayons, that's my biggest bitch. That and the Flash fiasco still bugs me.

Yes, yes they are. March 2nd the next iPad will be announced.

Adding a camera would probably be enough for me to want one, and I'm betting there's going to be a lot more to love. Can't wait to hear more.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the initial iPad meetings went something like this, "Let's put on a camera and a stylus and.... Hey, what the hell are you talking about. We'll release a touchscreen pad. That's it. We'll add that stuff on the second or third version so we can get people to rebuy." I don't blame them one bit, but it's quite amazing how quickly they are now coming out with newer better versions.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Does anyone else get the feeling that the initial iPad meetings went something like this, "Let's put on a camera and a stylus and.... Hey, what the hell are you talking about. We'll release a touchscreen pad. That's it. We'll add that stuff on the second or third version so we can get people to rebuy." I don't blame them one bit, but it's quite amazing how quickly they are now coming out with newer better versions.
    Yes, absolutely. That said, I've gotten a ridiculous amount of use out of my iPad1, and I'll be passing that on to my wife who will likely also get a ridiculous amount of use out of it. I worry about this kind of thought in, say, a laptop. Or a car. My iPad feels a lot more like the way I used to feel about a favorite pencil at school or something... like a favorite tool of some kind. That's why its shortcoming irritate me. I don't expect it to be laptop, but it had damn well better play Flash video, etc.

According to Wikipedia, the initial wifi iPads were first released on April 3rd, 2010. The 3G versions were released on April 30th.

To announce a new version 10 months after the first release of the initial product is utterly retarded and an obvious money grab. Not only that, but I agree with Clonefan in that they were holding back on features for the first version.

I think it's great to improve upon your product based on feedback and improvements in technology. However, when you announce the iPad2 10 months after the release of the initial version and barely a year after the product was even announced, I just have to throw my hands up as a consumer and say, "REALLY?"

I think Apple/Jobs knows their own consumers though, and they're taking full advantage of Apple fanaticism.
    Last edited by M.C. McMic; 02-25-2011 at 08:29 AM.

most useful feature of the ipad?

bringing up menus from carry out restaurants so we can order lunch as a crew on-set . . .

oh, and the 3G version is currently the best way to find a coffee shop off the highway while driving through the middle of nowhere.
    Last edited by Chronik Pest; 02-25-2011 at 11:26 AM.

I guess I would compare announcement date to announcement date, not release date, but whatever.

I did almost the exact same thing with coffee shops as chronic pest on the way down to Florida, had to use hotel wifi though. Took a screenshot for once we got back on the road... Also used 3G iPhone.

I also find the ipad extremely useful for quick emails, reviewing word docs from my boss anywhere in the house, another great use is if you need some kind of help while playing games -- like a walkthrough or location guide. I'll take a list of stuff move it over to "Pages" and then bold each item as I find it. Much less cumbersome than a laptop in that situation.

And I read books while listening to an appropriate soundtrack every night.

Lots of awesome games -- still the best experience i've had playing plants vs zombies and peggle. cut the rope is also awesome as are many other titles. The ipad is my escape without abandoning family. Oh and I think you'll be hearing a lot about "sword and sworcery" on march 20th.

Also, this post was written on my iPad sitting next to my son watching Wonder Pets.

I think if my wife already had an iPad I'd be much less likely to consider a new one. But because she does and with the 3G version as an automatic part of the upgrade, I'm very likely to make the leap.

I know nobody asked how much use I am getting out of this thing, but I did want to illustrate that a new one will be of some use. I think a lot of people did wait for 2.0, so that also may help Apple justify it, who knows. If people buy it, they're doing it right, right?

I'm also considering not upgrading my iPhone, or getting a more simple phone if it turns out that iPad 2.0 covers enough of my needs. I may even skip out on getting a Mac laptop, and get a PC laptop instead,for gaming and interactive testing.
    Last edited by D-Railer; 02-26-2011 at 08:42 AM.

I am by no means saying they are a useless product. I'd love to have one. I can see many uses for it. I guess the biggest thing I see that really had me question the iPad 2, was the camera. That should have been one of the first things mentioned as part of the original device. not something that comes out a year later. That's what really seems like a hold back to me.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

I am by no means saying they are a useless product. I'd love to have one. I can see many uses for it. I guess the biggest thing I see that really had me question the iPad 2, was the camera. That should have been one of the first things mentioned as part of the original device. not something that comes out a year later. That's what really seems like a hold back to me.
    I totally agree, it should have been on there, and I'm disappointed in a number of the decisions that they made. The counterpoint I was going for is that I got my money's worth, camera or not... and I still think I'll be getting my money's worth if I get another one. I don't think everybody is in that situation -- I just REALLY use mine often and in many ways.

As of this moment, probably NOT going to get an iPad2, as surprising as that may be. I might still get one if I cave during a weak moment, but it'd be more or less as a gift to my wife. (Meaning, she'd get my iPad1... I know, I'm a dick. But I'm a benevolent dick.)

For the record, the reviews of the camera pretty much ruined it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the initial wifi iPads were first released on April 3rd, 2010. The 3G versions were released on April 30th.

To announce a new version 10 months after the first release of the initial product is utterly retarded and an obvious money grab. Not only that, but I agree with Clonefan in that they were holding back on features for the first version.

I think it's great to improve upon your product based on feedback and improvements in technology. However, when you announce the iPad2 10 months after the release of the initial version and barely a year after the product was even announced, I just have to throw my hands up as a consumer and say, "REALLY?"

I think Apple/Jobs knows their own consumers though, and they're taking full advantage of Apple fanaticism.
    Are you being sarcastic?

Or is it really necessary that they wait an entire year before updating? Its a 1.0 product, they fixed some things that people really wanted, made it a little better. No one is putting a gun to anyone's head and making them upgrade- this is clearly an evolutionary product, not revolutionary, and they didn't even lower the price. Many products have a 6 month lifecycle, especially in the tech world.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    As of this moment, probably NOT going to get an iPad2, as surprising as that may be. I might still get one if I cave during a weak moment, but it'd be more or less as a gift to my wife. (Meaning, she'd get my iPad1... I know, I'm a dick. But I'm a benevolent dick.)

For the record, the reviews of the camera pretty much ruined it for me.
    Well I am glad you found more sense than money . The Ipad is alright, but the most use the one my woman got from her company is on the can, and its mostly ignored after that. The price just kills me... I rooted my nook color, and its 1/3 the price, and has the same functionality. Its crazy how Jobs can get people to spend money.