Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Cusinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker

Thread: Cusinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker

Default Cusinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker

I bought one of these the other day and have it set for "vanilla" this evening. Will let you know how it goes.

Default Re: Cusinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker

we got some sort of ice cream maker a few years ago. one of those that you freeze a bowl, and the machine turns the bowl while mixing what's inside and you just watch to see when it's done.

used it 10 or 12 times . . . and it's been collecting dust ever since

I believe we got the same. Mostly ours made a shake last night, when I was looking for something far more firm. Some of the bowl was the consistency of soft-serve, that's what we ate. I put some of the rest of it in tupperware and threw it in the freezer overnight. THAT is much nicer... it ends up at the consistency of Coldstone ice cream, which they make a little softer to add mix-ins.

I went from pretty unhappy with the results, to satisfied, thanks to that extra couple hours in the freezer.

I have the feeling ours will also get dusty eventually, but the truth is, if you got 10-12 uses out of a 30 dollar item... Ben and Jerry's is 3 bucks a pint... I dunno, I think you got your money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    I believe we got the same. Mostly ours made a shake last night, when I was looking for something far more firm. Some of the bowl was the consistency of soft-serve, that's what we ate. I put some of the rest of it in tupperware and threw it in the freezer overnight. THAT is much nicer... it ends up at the consistency of Coldstone ice cream, which they make a little softer to add mix-ins.

I went from pretty unhappy with the results, to satisfied, thanks to that extra couple hours in the freezer.

I have the feeling ours will also get dusty eventually, but the truth is, if you got 10-12 uses out of a 30 dollar item... Ben and Jerry's is 3 bucks a pint... I dunno, I think you got your money's worth.
    $3 a pint?! I pay $5 here. I guess sometimes you can catch a 2 for 1 sale at the nearest supermarket (which I have to get on a train to get to). Do you just throw milk in there? or Heavy cream?

Quote Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
    $3 a pint?! I pay $5 here. I guess sometimes you can catch a 2 for 1 sale at the nearest supermarket (which I have to get on a train to get to). Do you just throw milk in there? or Heavy cream?
    I followed a recipe in the manual for vanilla ice cream (curiously my son's favorite) that included heavy cream and whole milk. We did substitute "pure vanilla extract" for "shitty much cheaper vanilla-like stuff," but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. That was our first trial run, we'll do some trial and error for awhile.

It is hilarious to me that the package says "holy shit, ice cream in like 20 minutes." When in reality it took 24 hours of bowl freezing and 24 hours extra in the freezer before we got anything that I would call ice cream.

Some girl in my office brought in homemade vanilla ice cream made from real vanilla beans. It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    Some girl in my office brought in homemade vanilla ice cream made from real vanilla beans. It was amazing.
    I am sure it was, vanilla beans are farking expensive. Luckily my woman's dad is a food scientist has garbage bags full of them in his office.

Quote Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
    I am sure it was, vanilla beans are farking expensive. Luckily my woman's dad is a food scientist has garbage bags full of them in his office.
    Do you need my mailing address or what?
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

Round 2, Mint Cookie... never made it through the "base" part... it used real mint leaves, but by the time it was ready for the cookie bits it smelled and tasted like spinach ice cream. Threw that batch out and heading back to the land of vanilla and mix-ins for now.

Round 3, Cookies in Vanilla. Awesome. Keep it simple is the rule, I guess. Might try that s'mores recipe though...

I got my gf an ice cream maker attachment for her stand mixer. She made some type of banana-nutella ice cream last night. Hopefully its delicious.