Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My new Favorite Thing - a laptop review

Thread: My new Favorite Thing - a laptop review

Default My new Favorite Thing - a laptop review

So, as part of my Desktop upgrade I figured it'd make sense to finally jump on the laptop bandwagon . . . hey, if I'm gona spend I might as well spend BIG

I've always loved the concept of the netbook. I *really* love their size. I don't mind most of the corners they cut in order to achieve it. However, I found a laptop that's perfectly between netbooks and notebook/laptops.

it's the Toshiba Satellite T115D-S1125 (worst model naming convention ever).

11 inch screen with 768 vertical lines so it's "HD" . . . an actual AMD dual core processor with literally more horsepower than the desktop I'm retiring. and I upgraded it to 4 gig of RAM. and Windows 7 64bit so that I can take full advantage of it.

for only $500 (+$50 for 2 more gigs of ram) it's an exceptionally well powered machine but in the smallest possible package. VGA+HDMI output is crucial as well.

I wiped out the windows 7 Home version with Windows 7 Pro via a thumbdrive, and had no difficulty doing so.

It's got enough horsepower to run the Adobe Lighroom 3 Beta very well. Sames goes for a few other high-demand photo softwares I use in the field.

It seeamlessly steams Netflix fullscreen, even on full-screen external 1080p displays(!!). This was a KEY laptop requirement. Most netbooks fail in this category.

Anyway, there are so many laptop choices out there right now I thought I'd share these findings with you guys. There aren't any other laptops in this size bracket that have the specs and cost $500.

One crazy-ass use I've found for it, is in my newly geeked out kitchen.

I do a lot of cooking, but find all my recipes online. I also store successful recipes as docs on my computer. I've now wall mounted a cheap 22" Asus widescreen LCD in the kitchen and output the laptop to it. The laptop stays folded closed and out of harm's way and I input using my old beater keyboard and a cheap trackball (limited counterspace).

Of course, for ease of reading long recipes the monitor is in Portrait orientation

I'm currently scouring the internet for an under-counter keyboard tray to hide the keyboard when not in use. and the cables haven't been manged to optimal minimum chaos yet.

RoBBo is offline El Rob, a 10TU Forum Founding Member

Default Re: My new Favorite Thing - a laptop review

Tell me those aren't jars of piss.

meth lab.

Nice set up.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBBo View Post
    Tell me those aren't jars of piss.
    In about 2 weeks the contents of those jars will get you PISS DRUNK . . . is that the same thing?

Honeywine, or more specifically it's Tej. The cheapest, easiest homebrew there is.

You sure that's not the first symptom of a near-death XBOX video out?

sounds a hell of alot like what mine did right before it crapped out.

does your xbox output fine to other devices?

Does your monitor accept other inputs okay?

The holes in the wall from that monitor mount cost me my security deposit.

thanks for the reminder, asshole