Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Any beer brewers out there? - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Any beer brewers out there?

Default Re: Any beer brewers out there?

So let me apologize for the whiny post here.

This past weekend I found out a neighbor a couple of streets away was a homebrew and a member of the local club. While out on a walk with the family, I happened to see him out in his front yard and tried to strike up a quick little conversation, since we both brew and stuff. Well he basically wanted nothing to do with me and it quickly felt awkward. My wife even mentioned that as soon as we moved on.

This makes three members from the local club that I have met. This guy and another (actually a guy who works on my project) were just down right unfriendly. The third was helpful enough (met at a festival), but clearly wanted me to leave be once he provided me with the information I was seeking.

I dunno, but these guys just don't make me want to spend an evening in a crowded back room of the local home brew store with complete strangers. Maybe I'm just not good at conversation. Maybe I just caught the neighbor guy off gaurd. Personally, I think I'm done trying to speak with other homebrewers. It just feels like they are being snobby or something. It feels like high school all over again.

On a funnier side note, my brother in-law had the nerve to bring Shocktop beer into my house on Mother's Day. It was actually some sort of Honey Bourbon Barrel Wheat. Nasty. He left four bottles here. My best friend is a beer moocher, which is fine because I brew for my friends as much as I brew for myself. So I secretly transferred the shocktop to a growler and played it off as a new beer I brewed. Dude was disgusted. Barely could swallow the swill. He finished two glasses of it because "It would be a shame to not drink Rob's homebrew". He threw up the next morning. Good times!
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Hi!

Well, that sucks, Tokey. Were they seemingly uninterested in talking or just outright snobby and obnoxious? Also, I would hope that a neighbor would be friendly regardless of whether or not he wants to discuss beer with you. That's pretty weak.

I'd be thrilled if one of my neighbors was into homebrewing. Nobody in my family even likes beer, and I only have one or two friends who are really interested in beer, as well. It's frustrating to put all this time into brewing what I feel is good beer and people don't even want to try it.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm interested in ever meeting up with other homebrewers in my area. Part of that is due to the fact that the employees at Austin Homebrew Supply have been pretty hit or miss with me. A guy that helped me out last time was pretty helpful, chatty and friendly. However, the time before that, the guy who "helped" me was a condescending asshole and I walked out of there feeling like an idiot. He wears suspenders and has a novelty mustache. He's basically a 50-plus-year-old hipster, and I'm afraid of running into more guys like him at these beer meet-ups.

edit: My wife at least tries my beers and shows interest. She likes fermenting stuff and is making some ciders and mead, but I just don't think she's all that interested in beers outside of sour beers.
    Last edited by M.C. McMic; 05-27-2014 at 11:35 AM.

I suppose he was coming off more uninterested than snobby. Either way I left feeling sad about how that happened. Meh.

Luckily all my friends enjoy good beer. There really hasn't been something they turn their noses up. So in that is good news and why I went from five to ten gallons.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Hi!

I am kind of surprised to hear these unfriendly homebrewer stories, everyone I have spoken with is really nice. I live in a hipsterish type place and most that go are fairly young, and equally as interested in getting drunk at the local pub we meet at as talking about beer.

I have talked to my neighbors who brew more casually that I met at the park, and they are usually really friendly about it as well. Kind of sucks to hear your experiences, it makes me wonder if homebrewing is so mainstream now its not even considered interesting or niche anymore- kind of like if your neighbor was listening to Led Zeppelin or something, and you stood there making a big deal about how you like them too and tried to strike up a conversation about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
    I am kind of surprised to hear these unfriendly homebrewer stories, everyone I have spoken with is really nice. I live in a hipsterish type place and most that go are fairly young, and equally as interested in getting drunk at the local pub we meet at as talking about beer.

I have talked to my neighbors who brew more casually that I met at the park, and they are usually really friendly about it as well. Kind of sucks to hear your experiences, it makes me wonder if homebrewing is so mainstream now its not even considered interesting or niche anymore- kind of like if your neighbor was listening to Led Zeppelin or something, and you stood there making a big deal about how you like them too and tried to strike up a conversation about it.
    It's funny... I spoke with a guy at work who had a negative run-in with an employee at AHBS recently. I described the guy that was a dick to me, and my coworker was like, "oh yeah, that's him." So, it's not just me. I will not allow that guy to wait on me in the future.

The main reason I've been considering attending a homebrew club is due to the fact that, for whatever reason, most people in my immediate family and a lot of my close friends don't like beer. It's pretty frustrating. I love beer and brewing, and sometimes I feel like I can't even give my beer away.

On a more positive note, I just kegged my first two all-grain batches. I'm doing natural carbonation. So, they'll both be "ready" (minus conditioning) in a couple of weeks. I'll probably have a party shortly thereafter. I have 15 gallons of beer and a wife who probably doesn't want to see me drinking 3 beers a night for the next two months.

I tasted both beers as I was transferring to the kegs. The biere de garde is not a style I'm used to. In fact, I've never even tried it before. It was interesting, and I'm even more interested to find out how it will taste once it has carbonated and conditioned for a bit. The pale ale tasted excellent, even at 65 without carbonation. So, I'm excited about that one. Should be a great summer beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokeydog View Post
    So let me apologize for the whiny post here.

This past weekend I found out a neighbor a couple of streets away was a homebrew and a member of the local club. While out on a walk with the family, I happened to see him out in his front yard and tried to strike up a quick little conversation, since we both brew and stuff. Well he basically wanted nothing to do with me and it quickly felt awkward. My wife even mentioned that as soon as we moved on.

This makes three members from the local club that I have met. This guy and another (actually a guy who works on my project) were just down right unfriendly. The third was helpful enough (met at a festival), but clearly wanted me to leave be once he provided me with the information I was seeking.

I dunno, but these guys just don't make me want to spend an evening in a crowded back room of the local home brew store with complete strangers. Maybe I'm just not good at conversation. Maybe I just caught the neighbor guy off gaurd. Personally, I think I'm done trying to speak with other homebrewers. It just feels like they are being snobby or something. It feels like high school all over again.

On a funnier side note, my brother in-law had the nerve to bring Shocktop beer into my house on Mother's Day. It was actually some sort of Honey Bourbon Barrel Wheat. Nasty. He left four bottles here. My best friend is a beer moocher, which is fine because I brew for my friends as much as I brew for myself. So I secretly transferred the shocktop to a growler and played it off as a new beer I brewed. Dude was disgusted. Barely could swallow the swill. He finished two glasses of it because "It would be a shame to not drink Rob's homebrew". He threw up the next morning. Good times!
    I have tried joining clubs in the past for things I was into. Racing RC Cars, Slot Cars, Disc Golf, Mushroom hunting, Classic Mustangs. My involvement all ended pretty much the same way, "Oh, OK, this is all you do, I'll move on now." I have a lot of interests, brewing beer is definitely high on that list, but I don't spend every waking moment of my life thinking about the next beer. I have never even entertained the idea of joining a brew club for past experiences with other clubs. I have yet to meet anyone like me, in it more for the social aspect, who sticks around long enough to get to know them. The rest I find take it all too seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always trying to improve my beer. I have yet to brew the perfect beer and probably never will. I just have too many other interests and responsibilities to really get into it beyond something I do every once in a while. Hell, I work with a guy who's been bugging me about joining his club. He's a nice enough guy, but I probably brew 3X as much as he does, yet find myself focusing on brewing about 1/3 of the time he does. Hell, the guy has had the ingredients to brew an imperial stout for about 8 months now, but he keeps explaining to me how he's waiting for the perfect weather conditions on the perfect day to brew it because I guess there is this temperature and humidity range that has to fall in perfect alignment for him to brew. I'm usually a, "Well, looks like I'll have time tomorrow, so let me build a recipe." kind of brewer.

So anyways, I have found a lot of these clubs are truly full of "Nerds" I know that word gets thrown around a lot nowadays, but I also feel it's really over used. I find most people who think they are Nerds, are just geeky about stuff. Nerds on the other hand, tend to populate these clubs. They tend to lack the ability to be social, unless you are engaged in their specific topic, and even then, they'd rather you leave them alone so they could get on with their business.

I really don't mean to bash clubs, especially if you guys have found ones you enjoy. I just find too many times I'm the outcast in them because where I love to play disc golf, I also love to brew beer, race slot cars, watch sports on TV, etc. I have met very few club members of any kind that were willing to discuss anything outside of the clubs main focus.

Anyways, I'll end my rant. I really have no idea what brew clubs are like at all. I just don't have any interest in joining one out of my experience with other clubs focused on one thing. I'm also not trying to Nerd bash here at all. But I will say, if you truly want to meet a nerd and realize you aren't one, join a club focused on one thing. I've just realized for me I joined clubs for the social aspect that really wasn't there. It's either guys who are there because it's all they do or guys who are there to show off and tell you how smart they are about the subject. When you bring something else up, they tend to move on.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

Whoa. Those clubs sound like they suck, almost like work. We just meet once a month, sit around and talk about beer, usually the beer we made/brought, and then kind of just get drunk.

To give some perspective on the one I am involved in, the club has some extra money (about $5k) so we are planning on renting a party bus to go down to troegs (about 2.5 hours away) and put some kegs in it, or rent out a bar and have a heady topper party. Shockingly, its kind of easy to make money as a club when you have something everyone wants to try.

Start your own club!

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    So anyways, I have found a lot of these clubs are truly full of "Nerds" I know that word gets thrown around a lot nowadays, but I also feel it's really over used. I find most people who think they are Nerds, are just geeky about stuff. Nerds on the other hand, tend to populate these clubs. They tend to lack the ability to be social, unless you are engaged in their specific topic, and even then, they'd rather you leave them alone so they could get on with their business.
    Agreed 100%. This is my sentiment exactly. A "nerd" is someone who takes something fun and drives it into the fucking ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I really don't mean to bash clubs, especially if you guys have found ones you enjoy. I just find too many times I'm the outcast in them because where I love to play disc golf, I also love to brew beer, race slot cars, watch sports on TV, etc. I have met very few club members of any kind that were willing to discuss anything outside of the clubs main focus.
    We have very similar interests (except slot cars, which I've never tried). Are you on eHarmony, Clone? I'm pretty sure we should get married.

LOL!
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    Agreed 100%. This is my sentiment exactly. A "nerd" is someone who takes something fun and drives it into the fucking ground.

We have very similar interests (except slot cars, which I've never tried). Are you on eHarmony, Clone? I'm pretty sure we should get married.

I'm on top!

All joking aside though. I really find myself one who can get along with most people and that's my point about skipping the brew club scene for now. I have a ton of interests. Probably too many if you ask my wife and my bank account. And that's kind of what I enjoy. Obviously I'd want to get together, discuss the beers we made and taste until we have to call someone to pick us up. That's all well and good, but a year or so in (That's about how far I've made it in any club I've been in) I get kind of bored talking the same old schtick every week. Obviously we would talk about brewing beer, but eventually I'd like to know what else you are in to. "Hey, the Blackhawks lost that game 7, what a shitter eh?" "Oh, I don't watch Hockey, want to borrow my DVDs on the disc golf world championships 1985 - 2007?"

It just gets to be too much and has crossed that line from "Geeky" to "Nerd" and as I'll fully admit, I'm a geek about a lot of things, I pride myself on being social and not only interested in my interests, but those of my friends as well.

My brew club right now is basically this local brewpub that has a "Beer of the Month" club. Every month they brew a specialty beer and they have a 2 hour tasting night at the beginning of every month, when the beer is released. There are a lot of homebrewers in that. And obviously we talk beer the first part of the night. After an hour or so, it always tends to break down into other conversation, kids, vacations, what we did last week, etc. This is really the only club I've enjoyed because it's about coming and drinking beer, not so focused on a specific subject. I think that helps get people from other walks of life.

And don't get me wrong, I've met other cool people in clubs, especially the Disc Golf club, but they end up dropping out for the same reason I do and that's because it's usually run by the guy who made disc golf his life and thinks everyone else should too. I guess it did work out to some extent as I still play with a couple of guys I met while in that club.

Whoa. Those clubs sound like they suck, almost like work. We just meet once a month, sit around and talk about beer, usually the beer we made/brought, and then kind of just get drunk.

To give some perspective on the one I am involved in, the club has some extra money (about $5k) so we are planning on renting a party bus to go down to troegs (about 2.5 hours away) and put some kegs in it, or rent out a bar and have a heady topper party. Shockingly, its kind of easy to make money as a club when you have something everyone wants to try.

Start your own club!
    That would be cool, I'm just nervous from past experiences.

Who knows though, maybe some day I'll give it a chance. I do hope that with beer being involved, the libations tend to loosen the conversation a bit to other things than debating weather the addition carafoam to your grain bill is cheating and who prefers carapils.
    Last edited by Clonefan94; 06-04-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

Heh, I would say most brewers in my club have been brewing less than three years, so they are mostly still very impressed that they made something drinkable. A good number of them are poor-ish hipsters who also brew just to get drunk cheaper, you can pick those guys out as they always proudly announce the ABV before before even saying what type of beer it is. We are almost entirely apartment brewers as well, so I guess that keeps the super-seriousness down as we don't have room for brewstands and separate equipment for sours and such.

In fact, one guy came to the last meeting and he brought some sours that were actually quite good. I said to him without saying much more than hello "Man, you trekked all the way out here from the burbs?" And he gave me a funny look and said yeah, how did you know? And then I said if he is making sours, he has separate fermenters and equipment for them, and if he has room for that, he must have a house w/ a garage an be from at least 10 miles away. He laughed and told me I was right, and said the name of the town he trekked in from.

You guys just gave me an idea for a startup: Brewharmony, where bros go to find bromances.

In fact, one guy came to the last meeting and he brought some sours that were actually quite good. I said to him without saying much more than hello "Man, you trekked all the way out here from the burbs?" And he gave me a funny look and said yeah, how did you know? And then I said if he is making sours, he has separate fermenters and equipment for them, and if he has room for that, he must have a house w/ a garage an be from at least 10 miles away. He laughed and told me I was right, and said the name of the town he trekked in from.
    My friend who went to Columbia Medical School referred to such people as the "B&T Crowd" (Bridge & Tunnel Crowd) when I visited him once. I was like, "uh oh, you're turning into an asshole!" (Not saying you're an asshole, kev... just reminded me of a story. (My friend is a bit of an asshole.))

Clone, I'm even more afraid of disc golf clubs than I am of brewing clubs. The dgcoursereview.com forums are the most insanely nerdy place I've ever been to. Everyone there is so delusional, it hurts my brain. Half the people there are convinced their "11x Champ Teebird with the cock & balls stamp" (yes, I made that up of course) has magical properties that makes it fly just so, and they probably jerk off while looking at their discs. They also get unreasonably angry if they lose a disc and someone doesn't return it because THEY PUT THEIR NUMBER ON IT, MAN! Which, btw, is the reason I usually don't even pick up discs. I don't want to feel obligated to take time out of my day to return a piece of plastic to some dork. I don't think they comprehend that there are people such as myself who play disc golf... people who are probably just as good at the game but understand that they're throwing $10-15 pieces of plastic, not an Identity Disc from Tron.

heh, "bridge and tunnel" is a term I used to hear a lot, not so much anymore. I found it rather funny, because I mean nearly all the people that used that term had moved to manhattan in the previous 5 years, and I am not sure I ever heard someone who grew up there use the term.

The term probably went out of style because Manhattan is not a place for mere mortals anymore. Its the internationals, hedge fund and other financial guys, trust fund kids, etc that live there now, and those types are pretty f**king lame. The cool kids got priced out of the lower east side and moved to the outer boroughs about ten years ago.

We might soon hear the term "ugh, Barcade in Williamsburg is just overrun with Manhattanites. ugh so lame"

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. McMic View Post
    My friend who went to Columbia Medical School referred to such people as the "B&T Crowd" (Bridge & Tunnel Crowd) when I visited him once. I was like, "uh oh, you're turning into an asshole!" (Not saying you're an asshole, kev... just reminded me of a story. (My friend is a bit of an asshole.))

Clone, I'm even more afraid of disc golf clubs than I am of brewing clubs. The dgcoursereview.com forums are the most insanely nerdy place I've ever been to. Everyone there is so delusional, it hurts my brain. Half the people there are convinced their "11x Champ Teebird with the cock & balls stamp" (yes, I made that up of course) has magical properties that makes it fly just so, and they probably jerk off while looking at their discs. They also get unreasonably angry if they lose a disc and someone doesn't return it because THEY PUT THEIR NUMBER ON IT, MAN! Which, btw, is the reason I usually don't even pick up discs. I don't want to feel obligated to take time out of my day to return a piece of plastic to some dork. I don't think they comprehend that there are people such as myself who play disc golf... people who are probably just as good at the game but understand that they're throwing $10-15 pieces of plastic, not an Identity Disc from Tron.
    So yeah, at least you know my fear. I honestly think I'm good on HBT for now though. I'm happy with what I brew, have no plans on ever entering a contest and don't have any problems experimenting and taking good notes for myself. I do know a pro brewer who brews at my favorite brew pup in the area. I've talked to him and am going to start bringing him a few beers here and there for feedback.

But yeah, for disc golf, what looks on the outside to be a hippy laden, laid back past time. It's an amazingly uptight nerdfest for the most part.