Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Where is everyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is everyone?

Default Where is everyone?

Did you guys all head to the hills with canned food and ammo or something? The election is less than three weeks away, the financial system is in upheaval, and this place is dead! I want to see some tin-foil hat conspiracy theories, naive rants on how the Fed sucks, and maybe even a claim that Ron Paul will come out of nowhere and win it all. Get on it people!

Default Re: Where is everyone?

This is wrong on so many levels.

So I bet the media has you concerned. You need to be, but this isn't the answer.

This is nothing more then a money grab. A tax money grab deboot.

It is a band aid on our economy that is only delaying the enivitable.

Regardess of what deals the government ends up working out with those who are in default. The debt is still unpayable on the homeowners end. The economy is still in a down turn. No money is being given to the home owner or the consumer. The banks are in trouble because people cant afford to pay their mortgages. After this bailout....people still wont be able to pay their mortgages. They will still lose their houses.

The seperation of class is taking another dramatic turn.

Nothing is changing other then a section of the rich who were zealously greedy are having their greed justified by the government - with your money.

I'm mostly just sitting here shitting my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Railer View Post
    I'm mostly just sitting here shitting my pants.
    I hear you on that, though at this point, the insane gyrations of the market have kind of become more or less commonplace. Yesterday I actually said, "eh its only down 2%. no big deal." when a month ago that would have been a huge deal. Currently I have Schroedinger's 401k: Its not up or down unless I look at it, and I haven't.

A few months back I wasn't worried about the economy, I figured things would kind of blow over, but I way underestimated the ripple effects the real estate bubble deflating could have. My job appears safe for now, but I am definitely cutting back a bit on expensive dinners and such.

I have heard a lot of people say that things will stabilize after the election, but I am not really sure that is going to change anything, neither McCain or Obama seem to have any radical ideas on how to fix things, though I am quite relieved that Obama is pulling ahead. Palin being one stroke away from being President is just absolutely scary.

Quote Originally Posted by kevstev View Post
    I hear you on that, though at this point, the insane gyrations of the market have kind of become more or less commonplace. Yesterday I actually said, "eh its only down 2%. no big deal." when a month ago that would have been a huge deal. Currently I have Schroedinger's 401k: Its not up or down unless I look at it, and I haven't.

A few months back I wasn't worried about the economy, I figured things would kind of blow over, but I way underestimated the ripple effects the real estate bubble deflating could have. My job appears safe for now, but I am definitely cutting back a bit on expensive dinners and such.

I have heard a lot of people say that things will stabilize after the election, but I am not really sure that is going to change anything, neither McCain or Obama seem to have any radical ideas on how to fix things, though I am quite relieved that Obama is pulling ahead. Palin being one stroke away from being President is just absolutely scary.
    Bush speaks and economic confidence is destroyed. Get anybody that can speak eloquently in that chair and things may begin to turn around, is my hope.

But everything I'm hearing is really quite negative. Yeah not too long ago I went out to eat and the waiter asked me what the occasion was... like we had to be celebrating to eat out. Sad times.

LOL I hear you about 401k. My statement sits amongst other unopened mail. When I hear things have rebounded a bit, I'll open them all at once. Get the bad news and the not-so-bad news all at once.

I am praying about a potential new client. If this works out I should be back in a safe position, and that would be brilliant.

@Ouchy, you have some valid points in there.

Seriously, anybody that cares about this, I'm begging you to listen to recent episodes of This American Life or Planet Money Podcast. You'll be both depressed and informed at the same time.

Blowing all of your money on weed, booze, and books never sounded so good.

But I agree with D-Railer -- the current economic situation and its unaddressed nature in the debates or campaigning has left me utterly uninterested in the presidential election. They said all they're going to say of any relevance months and months ago.
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

We are feeling the pain where I work,the company that we do the most business with is cutting back trying to save money moving parts we make for them in house. I'm in a kinda bad place but I've put myself here,my boss has offered to pay for college for me but I've been too slack to go.I do have a IRA deal and haven't looked at that in awhile either.
    I've been saving money for years to start my own business but I just put it in a savings account and watch it lose it's worth by the day.
    I wish someone would legalize weed and poker and tax the hell out of it,then cut the failing war on drugs to start to pay off the freaking dept so our money isn't just a piece of paper.

My wife has lost almost her entire 401k.....others that she knows at at&t that were weeks away from retiring have lost hundreds of thousands.

Just a reality check for those that don't think this should concern them or that it is all just wall street people that this hurts, it's not. It's hard working people that have had their entire lifes savings just disappear.

As for the elections...I've had quite enough. I just want this to be over at this point. Honestly I don't know what I'm going to do with myself after them...what media shall consume me then?

Quote Originally Posted by FiD View Post
    As for the elections...I've had quite enough. I just want this to be over at this point. Honestly I don't know what I'm going to do with myself after them...what media shall consume me then?

I hear you on that. I am done w/ the election. I want the daily show to cover something else already.

Quote Originally Posted by FiD View Post
    Just a reality check for those that don't think this should concern them or that it is all just wall street people that this hurts, it's not. It's hard working people that have had their entire lifes savings just disappear.
    Pretty much all of America got screwed on this one, no doubt. There's a decent chance I won't make it through another semester in school for lack of funding.
    "I'd hate to advocate drugs. alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    -- Hunter S. Thompson

RoBBo is offline El Rob, a 10TU Forum Founding Member

Same here Ollie, and who the fuck knows about a job in the arts now eh?

We'll see.

I can always go somewhere else. Dubai is looking pretty good around now, hello to the new center of the world.

RoBBo is offline El Rob, a 10TU Forum Founding Member

I just had an epiphany, Sarah Palin is the Leroy Jenkins of the womens rights movement.

I got laid off a couple months ago. I worked for a real estate marketing firm... wrong business to be in. Myself and a couple others got canned (from a small, 12-person firm), and the rest took pay cuts or reduced time.

I used this as an opportunity to move to Austin to be closer to family. I'm still looking for a job as a developer down here. I have a few good opportunities lined up, but it's still tough.

On the bright side, it's late October, and it's 80 degrees and sunny. Fuck, the weather here rocks.