Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What do you do when someone posts something you don't like?

Thread: What do you do when someone posts something you don't like?

matchstick is offline D-Railer prefers that you call me "Sir," and say it like you mean it.

Question What do you do when someone posts something you don't like?

Ah, the eternal question. Right up there with "What is the meaning of life?" and "Why are we here?"

There are many answers to this age old question, both correct and incorrect. And the purpose of *this* post is to help enlighten one and all as to what the *correct* options are... as well as some of the incorrect.

But before we begin going through various scenarios and possibilities, let me first admit that I too have walked the dark path from time to time. So I certainly understand that everyone and anyone can screw up now and again. It happens... ideally, it will happen less from all of us as time goes on.

So let's break it down:

Let's say someone posts an opinion that you disagree with.

You could:

A) Argue with them rationally, being civil the entire time, in an effort to express your own differing opinion.

B) Berate the individual, letting them and everyone else know how stupid they are, all the while patting yourself on the back on how much smarter you are than everyone else. (I've done this)

C) Let the poster know that they are probably attracted to individuals of the same sex, that they are decidedly "uncool" and "nerdy" and that people of the opposite sex are probably repulsed by them.

D) Simply ignore the post.

I'm sure you're shocked by that last one, you are in fact ALLOWED, and perhaps even ENCOURAGED to ignore posts you disagree with if you can't bring yourself to choose option A.

For the record, B and C aren't what we want at all.

"But Matchstick!", you say, "What if they aren't just expressing an opinion, but they are attacking me via their heinous posting?!?! Can't I retaliate with my own brand of witty satire to mock them or perhaps even just tell them they suck?"

No. You can't. In fact, the correct option in this is almost assuredly to IGNORE the post. And if you feel you need to, you can take it a step further. You can ignore EVERY post by that user... FOREVER.

Just click on the users name and on their profile you will see a link that says, "Add username to Your Ignore List". After clicking that, you will no longer be bothered by anything that user has to say. And if that doesn't create a perfect world, I don't know what does.

If someone does post something you find so offensive that you just can't live with it, let a moderator or administrator know so they may effectively deal with it.

"But Matchstick!", again you say, "What if I don't want to ignore them forever, because, you know, sometimes I actually DO want to read what they post. But I still want to let them know that I disagree with them in an expressive fashion?!?!"

Then the answer for you is a little known thing called a Private Message AKA a PM. With a PM you may bitch and moan to your hearts content without disturbing the zen like peace that exists in the public areas of 10ThumbsUp.com. (Incidentally, I have to be reminded of this myself from time to time.)

Should you receive the aforementioned bitchy PMs from someone you don't want to... simply add them to your Ignore List and voila... problem solved.

"But Matchstick!", yet again you say, "Isn't this whole post awfully damn condescending?"

Yes, it is... but it's meant to be tongue in cheek. I am definitely guilty of a few of these myself as I mentioned from the get go. So my hope is that if you feel some of this may apply to you, you can laugh it off and realize it's intended to address an issue that seems to be getting worse over the past few months.

This is a fun place, and the reason it's fun is because of the people that post here. Learn to get along better with everyone, and if you can't, just ignore them. With the magic of vBulletin you don't even have to read what they write and make yourself ignore them, it'll do it all for you.

Hopefully we'll never have to explore the horrid world of consequences if we can't get along.

Thanks,
    matchstick
    Last edited by matchstick; 01-08-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Ahh thank you for the reminder Matchstick. I always seem to forget about the ignore list but since you reminded me I've made some wonderful changes to the forum for myself.

In fact a big smile brakes out on my face when I click to the second or third page of a topic and all I see ***** is on your ignore list ##### is on your ignore list all the way down the page. It's like a magic force field against stupidity.

Thanks for the reminder.

I have someone on my ignore list, but it doesn't help when people quote them or argue with them. The idiocy seeps through the system.

When I see the quoted post it just reminds me how much I like the ignore list.

RoBBo is offline El Rob, a 10TU Forum Founding Member

Run over to their house and piss in their apple juice.
    That's just how I roll.

Actually, you'd be surprised how many posts, that I consider stupid, I ignore. It's just in my nature. Usually, I try to stick to arguing with people I know are capable of an intelligent argument. I don't know if anyone has noticed how little I've posted lately. I kid, I kid. It's actually true though. I usually get a feel for posters before I ever try to contradict their post with my post, no matter how much factual evidence I have. I love an intelligent argument. I love stupid arguments also, but, if the other person doesn't realize how stupid it is, it's meaningless.
    The world isn't full of fuzzy love. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes we have to deal with monsters stealing our cookies and fat asses who ate too many cookies. Sometimes, that fat ass is me... And sometimes that cookie was yours.

Old Guest

True Fact:

Clonefan has never responded to a post by Gentle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentle
    True Fact:

Clonefan has never responded to a post by Gentle.
    True fact:

I have.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBBo
    Run over to their house and piss in their apple juice.
    That's just how I roll.
    Was that you I heard rummaging around in my kitchen this morning. Damn, I knew I should NOT have drunk the apple juice. I don't even like apple juice, but today, it was __________ (insert funny word here).

sir sExile is offline 10TU Forum Founding Member and Stately King of Movie Trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper
    Was that you I heard rummaging around in my kitchen this morning. Damn, I knew I should NOT have drunk the apple juice. I don't even like apple juice, but today, it was __________ (insert funny word here).

This isn't who I think it is... is it?

Quote Originally Posted by sir sExile
    This isn't who I think it is... is it?

That would depend, kind sir, on who you think "this" is...

Default Re: What do you do when someone posts something you don't like?

eh back several years ago i woulda posted and flamed and did all that. now i rairley go to any forums and if someone post something i dont like i just dont reply and go on about my buisness.

Default Re: What do you do when someone posts something you don't like?

I would flame them and then tell everyone Lanseril made me do it.